Sunday 4 March 2012

The perils of an upside-down life

Hola - I hope you've had a nice weekend so far - and that the weather is a little less damp than here. Ah well, we need the rain, so we are told. It may help us avoid a hosepipe ban, but I wouldn't bet on it. One effect the weather will have here, specifically in Eastbourne, is that it will foul up folks' enjoyment of the annual charity half-marathon. I always think that's a hilarious concept and keep wondering if they ever plan to do the other half at a later point in the year. For weeks now, we've had signs up warning us that the seafront will be closed to traffic for part of the day, due to.. and then it has a patch where you can obviously fill in the latest event or problem. Personally, I want to go around and erase 'half marathon' and replace it with 'parade of deranged people and baffled OAPs'. Or is that too cynical of me?
Oh well.
In case you hadn't guessed, you would never get me - or Julie - running a marathon, full-length or otherwise. On the other hand, we DO like walking and I have done numerous charity walks in the past, notably the 'walkathons' they used to hold in Birmingham. It's stretching the term a little, as the route taken was roughly 4½ miles longer than the standard length for a marathon (which itself was extended by a few hundred yards so the Olympic event would end in front of the royal box. You don't believe me, do you?). 
Any way, I'm rambling (pun unintended). One day, some time ago now, Julie came home and flopped into a chair, all tired out.






Well, there goes my own personal theory on how Julie comes up with her Gems...

No comments:

Post a Comment